Unusual Smells From Electrical Components
A burning smell from an outlet or light switch may be caused by plastic components or insulating material that is melting due to an electrical failure. Turn off the breaker that provides current to that outlet and unplug the device or appliance that was being powered. Call an electrician to take a look. The appliance and outlet should not be used again until a licensed professional can investigate the issue.
Pest Infestation Can Lead to Electrical Problems
Even when you’ve taken good care of your living spaces, rodents may still find a way in. If you see signs of mice or squirrels, like droppings or damaged materials, this can predict electrical problems in your home. Call a pest control company to rid your home of mice and have an electrician inspect electrical components, looking for any damage to the wiring from rodents chewing it.
Tripping Breakers are Signs of Electrical Problems
One of the most obvious signs of an electrical problem is a breaker that trips on a regular basis. The impulse may be to simply flip it back on, but if this is a recurring event, you have a problem. It may be the breaker itself is faulty or damaged and needs to be replaced, or it could be indicative of an overloaded circuit. Unplug some devices from that circuit and see if the breaker continues to trip. If so, you’ll likely need a new one. An electrician can replace the breaker or add another one to your home so you aren’t overloading the electrical circuit.
Other Signs of Electrical Problems in Your Home
You may notice other indications of electrical problems. Call a certified electrician to find, troubleshoot, and repair problems. Electrical issues like these that are not remedied could lead to injury or a house fire.
- flickering or dimming lights
- electrical shock when plugging or unplugging an appliance
- outlets and switches that are hot to the touch
- loose outlets
- electrical buzzing
The signs of electrical problems vary, but these are some of the indications that it’s time to take action. When you notice an issue with the electrical system, call a professional. A trained electrician has the experience to make repairs safely. Following their advice is an easy way to avoid fire hazards and feel peace of mind about the safety of your home.